Modafinil: the unique properties of a new stimulant.
Lyons TJ, French J
Headquarters USAF Human Systems Division,
Brooks Air Force Base, TX 78235.
Aviat Space Environ Med 1991 May;62(5):432-5
Modafinil, a novel stimulant which has several remarkable features that distinguish it from other stimulants, has been developed by Lafon, a French pharmaceutical company. Unlike the amphetamines, for example, modafinil is reported to have minimal peripheral side effects at therapeutic doses. It also appears to have a low abuse potential, does not interfere with normal sleep, and does not seem to produce tolerance. It improves vigilance especially in sleep-deprived subjects. It has been used clinically for up to 3 years in the treatment of narcolepsy and idiopathic hypersomnia. It could be an ideal replacement for amphetamine in short-term operations in which fatigue might threaten the successful completion of a mission. We recommend that military laboratories experienced in studying sustained performance include modafinil or perhaps a more selective alpha 1 receptor agonist in their investigations.
- Modafinil and Alertness: Modafinil for sustaining the alertness of helicopter pilots
- Modafinil and Depression: Modafinil augmentation of antidepressant treatment
- Modafinil Stimulant: Modafinil the unique properties of a new stimulant
- Modafinil and ADD / ADHD: Modafinil in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder
- Modafinil Tolerability: tolerability in healthy male volunteers
- Modafinil and Narcolepsy: successful treatment of hypersomnia and narcolepsy
- Narcolepsy Management with Modafinil: Narcolepsy. Signs, symptoms, differential diagnosis, and management with Modafinil
- Modafinil and Serotonin: Amplification of cortical serotonin release
- Modafinil Alcoholic Treatment: treatment of the alcoholic organic brain syndrome
- Modafinil: cortisol and growth hormone: Effect of modafinil on plasma melatonin, cortisol and growth hormone
- Modafinil Sleep Apnea: Modafinil in obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome
- Modafinil Study: Modafinil: a double-blind multicentric study
- Modafinil in Elderlies: effects of modafinil and d-amphetamine on sleep in elderlies.
- Modafinil and Feeding: Modafinil induces feeding changes in rats
- Modafinil and GABA: modafinil decreases GABA release in the posterior hypothalamus of the awake rat
- Modafinil FDA Approved: Modafinil first drug to be approved by FDA to fight narcolepsy in 40 years
- Modafinil – Noradrenaline and cerebral aging