Modafinil in obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome
: a pilot study in 6 patients
Arnulf I, Homeyer P, Garma L, Whitelaw WA, Derenne JP.
Service de Pneumologie et Laboratoire du Sommeil,
Respiration 1997; 64(2):159-61
We studied the effects of modafinil, a vigilance-enhancing drug, on excessive daytime sleepiness, memory, night sleep and respiration in 6 patients with obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome (OSAHS) using a double-blind random cross-over design with 24-hour polysomnography, verbal memory test and a 5-week sleep-wake diary kept by the patients. There were two 2-week treatment periods in which either modafinil or placebo was used; they were separated by a 1-week wash-out period. Our results show that modafinil reduces daytime sleep duration, lengthens the duration of subjective daytime vigilance and improves long-term memory in patients with OSAHS without modifying night sleep and respiration events.
- Modafinil and Alertness: Modafinil for sustaining the alertness of helicopter pilots
- Modafinil and Depression: Modafinil augmentation of antidepressant treatment
- Modafinil Stimulant: Modafinil the unique properties of a new stimulant
- Modafinil and ADD / ADHD: Modafinil in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder
- Modafinil Tolerability: tolerability in healthy male volunteers
- Modafinil and Narcolepsy: successful treatment of hypersomnia and narcolepsy
- Narcolepsy Management with Modafinil: Narcolepsy. Signs, symptoms, differential diagnosis, and management with Modafinil
- Modafinil and Serotonin: Amplification of cortical serotonin release
- Modafinil Alcoholic Treatment: treatment of the alcoholic organic brain syndrome
- Modafinil: cortisol and growth hormone: Effect of modafinil on plasma melatonin, cortisol and growth hormone
- Modafinil Sleep Apnea: Modafinil in obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome
- Modafinil Study: Modafinil: a double-blind multicentric study
- Modafinil in Elderlies: effects of modafinil and d-amphetamine on sleep in elderlies.
- Modafinil and Feeding: Modafinil induces feeding changes in rats
- Modafinil and GABA: modafinil decreases GABA release in the posterior hypothalamus of the awake rat
- Modafinil FDA Approved: Modafinil first drug to be approved by FDA to fight narcolepsy in 40 years
- Modafinil – Noradrenaline and cerebral aging